Skip to main content

Holding an eternal perspective

 “Lord, stamp eternity on my eyeballs.”

― Jonathan Edwards

I love this prayer by Jonathan Edwards. The prayer reminds me that it is not the present things or the present circumstances, whether they are great or small, amazing or terrible, but rather the constant reminder of eternity with Jesus that our main focus should be. Most often, especially when we are sad and down cast, we feel the burden of the world on our selves and fail to see the master who carried the cross and said "my yoke is easy, my burden is light" Matthew 11:28-30.

One writer tell more about this yoke being easy. When talking about marriage, Paul says do not be unequally yoked. It means that do not marry someone who chases the world and its desires if you chase the Lord. Your way splits and then the yoke is hard and burdensome. In the olden days before tractors, oxen would be put under the same yoke to plough the field. This means, if one is strong and the other is weak, the stronger one leads the plough. But most often than not, the work does not get done as the stronger one drags the weaker. 

When Jesus says this, he says " Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls". He is gentle. He is strong. His will is to make our yoke easy. Whether it is church, marriage, finance, job, he is there saying that He will carry the heavy part. 

This is our prayer then, that we constantly focus on Jesus and see him carrying and allow him to carry the heavy part. He does not need your help. He does and have did it willingly and without asking your opinion. This is his will for our life - that he calls and says " “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Come, and he will give us rest.

At times of joy and triumph, let us remember too that we did nothing but walk under his yoke. This is why we have to pray too, Lord, stamp eternity, the promise f the fellowship, sight, smell, warmth and companionship of you in fullness be stamped on our eyeballs.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nativity - by Gari Melchers

This could be my first ever critique of art that I have ever written and that is because it is only recently art has captured my interest as much as this work. This write up is made both in English and German as I want to practice my German.  'The Nativity' by Gari Melchers.  I am not an art expert and my critique is from a layman's point of view, but bear with me. I have tried reading some information about the art and the culture behind it and I have my two favourite blog posts about the same work and yes,  I have shamelessly copied some of their thoughts. Woebegone but Hopeful and other is by Lisa VO . Julius Garibaldi Melchers (August 11, 1860 – November 30, 1932) was an American artist. He was one of the leading American proponents of naturalism. He won a 1932 Gold medal from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.[1] - Wikipedia The Nativity is painted during the peak of realism movement - in a gritty and less idealised manner . For m

Pentecost 2012

celebrating pentecost 2012 to many of us who think of Pentecost as a denomination or a church, this message is for you, for many of us who think there is no reason to be concerned about the church, this is again a message for you. this message is for christians or people who call themselves christians. if you are not a christian, let me warn you, that some things may slip your mind so be free to ask me in the comments or on twitter or personal email at smathew2237@gmail.com . [The following explains trinity : please read if you are interested : else skip below by clicking => SKIP <=] in christianity we believe in a monotheist belief like Judaism and Islam, but worship the God of Judaism not Islam. the turn down for many people is the added effect of deity issues that come with christians saying they believe in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and blow away the concept of monotheism. so what does the christian believe ? well, we believe God, existed before time and he was not

When winter comes

Some times life takes amazing turns and we find out that God just caught us with surprise! These are some pictures with my new Android phone. Acron Winter Breeze A bunch of colourful seeds a bunch of fun Tomato Harvest Tomato gathering Tomato Again : guess what is mum cooking tonight? Tomato Soup Chinese Lantern flower Apples!! Apple Big and Small Flowers Pears The apple tree ... mmm a small apple tree Subz Your browser does not support the canvas element.Get Google Chrome or the view Enhancement software for HTML5 site from here Click Here