Skip to main content

Devotion - not of dust, but of Diety

I was reading an interesting article on Desiring God blog by Maxwell, when it occurred to me about the point that was being made in it. We often see devotion as something we have to give God. Thus we often look at devotion as what an inferior being gives to a superior one. We who are Christians from childhood are told often that we must be devoted to God and those of us from a Pentecostal or Arminian heritage are told that God values us on our devotion to Him. While it may be slightly true, the truth is this. God doesn't depend on us.

Let me illustrate with a personal example. My fiance is not much of a talker. So, to understand her means I would have to listen to her unspoken words, the hmm's, the nods and the facial expressions. I am sure that I am going to miss a lot of things she has not spoken to me about and more over she may fail to express in words her love and devotion to me. I now having discovered that, though it being really hard, I  am getting better to appreciate her nods and hmm's.

Now, God knows we are not perfect,  and more importantly He knows we don't desire Him as much as He should be desired and more over as much as we should desire to have a good life. We fail to desire God daily, hourly, and are never going to be devoted to Him as we ought to. I want to say that it's OK as in God understands that.

We have to learn a few things from God on devotion. God is devoted to saving you and me. He is for us and not against us. He is more passionate about us than we could ever find in us to be for Him. The Bible is filled with promises of God. No, they are not perks or karma filled verses. They are statements that God tells even before we decided to love Him.

Here is one.
“Work, for I am with you” (Haggai 2:4).
How cool is that? It's not work because I will then help you or like the popular saying "God helps those who help themselves" - nay,  it's go to work because I am with you.

Another one:
“I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20).
It doesn't say as long as you are with me and you do this and that, no, Jesus told this to His disciples when He left them. As contrary as it sounds, Jesus keeps the promise to never leave us as orphans.

A third one:
“The Lord is near to the brokenhearted” (Psalm 34:18).
Are you hurt, inn despair, feeling lost? Well remember that He is near you. Recall the promises. Get your hands dirty and work at the promises. Recall it to yourself daily.

The last one:
“He who touches you touches the apple of his eye” (Zechariah 2:8).

This certainly is not the last of His promises, but the last one I would mention here. He tells us how he sees us. He is jealous of us. God looks at us and cares for us so much that he says that touching us is like touching the apple of His eye. Although this promise was for the nation of Israel, it's for us too under the new covenant. Be careful, as our God is like a lion to His people. 

What then now?

Take heart my Child, He says, - Be Still - Hope on Him. He will come through for you. He knows your pain, your worries and He is your shelter and shield. Be encouraged because He has said "I will make all things new". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nativity - by Gari Melchers

This could be my first ever critique of art that I have ever written and that is because it is only recently art has captured my interest as much as this work. This write up is made both in English and German as I want to practice my German.  'The Nativity' by Gari Melchers.  I am not an art expert and my critique is from a layman's point of view, but bear with me. I have tried reading some information about the art and the culture behind it and I have my two favourite blog posts about the same work and yes,  I have shamelessly copied some of their thoughts. Woebegone but Hopeful and other is by Lisa VO . Julius Garibaldi Melchers (August 11, 1860 – November 30, 1932) was an American artist. He was one of the leading American proponents of naturalism. He won a 1932 Gold medal from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.[1] - Wikipedia The Nativity is painted during the peak of realism movement - in a gritty and less idealised manner . For m

Ist Jesus vom Tod auferstanden?

  Vor ein paar Monaten, erzählte mir ein Freund (nennen wir ihn Herr Müller) von einem peinlichen Vorfall. Er lebte, in einem kleinen Dorf und jeder kannte jeden. Er hatte einen Nachbarn (nennen wir ihn Herrn Schmidt). Herr Müller und Herr Schmidt waren sehr freundliche Familienväter. Jeder hatte zwei Töchter. Herr Müller hatte einen kleinen Dackel, während Herr Schmidt, ein paar Kaninchen hatte. Eines Tages wurde Herr Müller durch einen erschreckenden Anblick geweckt. Sein Hund hatte eines der kleinen Kaninchen im Maul. Sie können sich vorstellen, wie entsetzt er war. Sein Hund war über den Zaun zum Nachbarhaus gesprungen und hatte dort irgendwie ein eingesperrtes Kaninchen angegriffen. Herr Müller fühlte sich sehr schlecht dabei, aber er hatte nicht den Mut, Herrn Schmidt zu sagen. Er dachte sich einen schlauen Plan aus. Er nahm das Kaninchen, wusch es ab, schüttelte seine Fell mit einem Fön auf und schminkte es, um die Bisswunden zu entfernen. Er band seinen Hund an einem Ort an, de

2 Kings 5 | Part 2 | Naaman and the Offense of the cross

This section of the story in 2 Kings chapter 5 focuses on Naaman. We know that Naaman was the commander in chief of the armies of Syria and possibly the right hand man as he was incharge of strategic, political and warfare and security. This was a very prestigious role that Naaman had earned. Some Jewish Rabbis say that his ruthlessness and his power resulted in God punishing Naaman with Tzaraat which is translated as Leprosy. For the sake of these notes, I would consider the word Leprosy.  Naaman was powerful and wise. In fact, it was God who had blessed him from the start. The verse says that Naaman was a powerful and influential man valued by the king greatly. His victory was a gift from God to Aram. Why would God bless a foreign nation to attack the Israelites? In Deuteronomy chapter 28, Moses tells the people that God would make the enemies of Israel punish the people of God if they are disobedient. Jehoram, the then king of Israel was the son of Ahab. Ahab and his wife Jezebel le